Although a Democratic administration is likely to be very sympathetic to the wishes of IP owners and rightly so, there is reason to hope that the Obama administration will take a more nuanced approach than we've seen in the past as a result of such factors as:
- Obama's commitment to affordable health care
- Obama's commitment to improving child education in order to improve competitiveness
- Obama's experience as an academic
- the very Internet savvy campaign he ran
- the need to balance traditional Democrat protectionist instincts with the pressing need to to restore America's lead in high tech R&D and even manufacturing
- the need for the USA to regain respect internationally by informed policy leadership and not by brute force trade hegemony
- the need to satisfy likely great expectations from Africa and developing countries in other regions
- more intellectual rigor and honesty in separating bogus terrorism and exaggerated counterfeiting issues from real trade and IP issues.
As I say, and without being political, there is now indeed plenty of reason to hope.